Friday, July 10, 2015

So long -- and thanks for all the fish or; "Closing Time"

Does anyone remember Semisonic? They were a great alt-rock straight out of Minneapolis in the mid-nineties who is probably best known for their anthem "Closing Time". It ends with the lyric "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end".

When Jessica and I started our adventure we lived not too far from Minneapolis. Prior to living in Canada -- before England and even River Falls we first met across the lunch table from each other in Cameron, Wisconsin. It was 2005 -- she invited me to her birthday party. I almost didn't go.

Ten years later, it's 2015 -- we've had more beginnings and endings than most people have had in a lifetime.

About five months ago, my family and I buried my little brother. He was killed in a car accident and left behind a wife and two children.

About six months ago I met my niece for the first time.

Nearly a year ago I fell in love with someone new -- and two months prior to that, Jessica and I ended our journey.

Yesterday I got the final divorce certificate.

Honestly, I am not sure what else to say here. The adventure is over. About thirteen hours drive from where it started -- Regina, Saskatchewan.

It's closing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment